A rich, flavorful dish elevated by pimentón (Spanish paprika) for smooth smokiness and subtle heat.
- 2 each chicken legs and thighs bone-in
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp spanish smoked paprika (pimentón)
- 2 limes juiced
- olive oil as necessary
- 1 lb yellow squash
- 1 lb zucchini
- 1 large tomato vine ripe
- 1 cup corn kernels roasted
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- In a bowl large enough to easily hold all of the chicken pieces, mix the canola oil, lime juice, pimentón, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and rub the mixture evenly over the chicken pieces until well covered. Let marinate for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Cut the squash into ½ inch dice and set aside. Cut tomato into 1-inch dice and add to the squash mixture. Remove the seeds from the chili peppers and slice them into ¼ inch wide, thin strips. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan till it slides easily in the pan but is not smoking.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat till softened but not browned(4-5 minutes). Add the chili pepper strips to the pan and cook for another 5minutes.
- Finally, add the roasted corn, diced squash, tomato, and garlic to the pan. Sauté till squash mixture is just done but not too soft (7-8 minutes) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the pieces from the marinade and let them come to room temperature (10 to 15minutes). Heat a pan large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer. Add about 1 tablespoon canola oil to the pan till just barely smoking.
- Carefully add chicken and sear on all side still nicely browned. Move the pan to a preheated 400° oven to finish cooking(about 10 minutes). Remove from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Spoon the Calabacitas onto each plate. Arrange two pieces of chicken on top of the vegetables and garnish with freshly torn herbs.
Pair with Grgich Hills Estate Zinfandel, Miljenko's Selection Shop here