Smoked Trout Salad with Endive and Goat Cheese
Servings: 6 people
- 1/2 red onion, quartered and sliced paper-thin
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head escarole or chicory (about 12 ounces), cut or torn into bite-sized pieces (you should have about 9 cups)
- 4 heads white Belgian endive, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 heads red Belgian endive, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound smoked trout (see note), skin removed, flaked into large pieces
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese cheese
- In a medium nonreactive bowl, combine the onion and 1/2 cup of the vinegar. Set aside at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mustard, salt, pepper, and remaining 1/4 cup of vinegar, whisking to dissolve the salt. Whisk in the olive oil. Set aside.Drain the pickled onion. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the escarole, white endive, red endive, and dressing to taste. Transfer the salad to a platter or plates. Arrange the trout and feta on top, dividing both evenly. Top with a pile of the pickled onion and serve.