Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches with Goat Cheese and Pesto
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 8 slices
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 red onion optional
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 Tbs. pesto, store-bought or homemade
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Grgich Hills Estate olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, then discard seeds and membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin side up, on baking sheet with eggplant and flatten with the palm of your hand
- Broil for 4 minutes, then turn the eggplant (leaving the bell pepper skin side up) and broil for an additional 4 minutes. Remove eggplant from sheet and broil bell peppers for additional 7 minutes or until blackened.
- Remove bell pepper and place in air-tight container or bag, seal and let stand for 15 minutes before peeling the skins.
- While vegetables are broiling, toss the arugula with a tablespoon each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast ciabatta, then spread pesto on the bottom half of the toasted roll. Top with eggplant, bell pepper and arugula. Spread goat cheese on top half and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Ryan Geoghegan. Pair with Grgich Hills Estate Chardonnay, Miljenko's Selection - Order Here