Rib Eye Steaks with Braised Cippolini Onions, Brussels Sprouts, and Fennel Beet Salad
- 2 Rib eye steaks
- 1 1/2 cup brussels sprouts cut in half
- 1 large Yukon gold potato
- 3 baby beets roasted and peeled
- 6 Cippolini onions peeled
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you want to cook them. Season with salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon of oil to a pan large enough to hold both steaks. Sear steaks on each side until browned (approximately 4-5 minutes per side).
- Place pan with steaks into a 350° oven to finish cooking to desired doneness.
- Peel potatoes and cut lengthwise into wedges. Toss wedges in oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in 350° oven for approximately 20 minutes until golden.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan until barely smoking. Add the peeled Cippolini onions to the pan and let sauté until caramelized on both sides. Each side should take 1-2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add water just to cover onions.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the pan and rapidly boil down the water until onions are soft. If onions need more time, add more water as needed. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add the halved Brussels sprouts to 2 quarts of rapidly boiling salted water. Boil until tender (approximately 4 minutes).Remove from water and shock in ice water until cooled.
- To Assemble: Divide the onions, Brussels sprouts, and potatoes between two plates. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice and add very thin fennel slices to a small bowl. Quarter the beets and add to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Place a small pile of salad on each plate. Cut steaks into three pieces and lay on plates. Enjoy!