Grilled Sausages and Summer Vegetables with Balsamic Drizzle
- Twelve 12 to 14-inch skewers, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes if they’re wood or bamboo.
- 1/4 cup good-quality aged balsamic vinegar or 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar reduced to 1/4 cup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 small red onions (about 12 ounces)
- 8 cooked sun-dried tomato chicken sausages (two 12-ounce packages), cut into 3 pieces each
- 18 mini bell peppers
- 3 Asian-style eggplants (6 to 8-inches long), cut crosswise into 6 pieces each
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard. Set aside.Cut each onion through the root into 12 wedges, so that each piece has a bit of root holding it together. Thread each skewer with 2 onion wedges, 2 pieces of sausage, 1 or 2 peppers, and 1 or 2 pieces of eggplant.
- Prepare a grill to medium heat. Brush both sides of the skewers with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Grill until the onions, peppers, and eggplant are tender and lightly charred and the sausage is heated through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Arrange the skewers on plates or a platter, drizzle with the balsamic vinegar mixture, and serve.Copyright Jill Silverman Hough. All rights reserved. www.jillhough.com.