Bacon, Basil, and Blue Cheese Burgers
- cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1.25 pounds ground beef
- 8 thick slices bacon
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1.5 cups torn frisée lettuce or 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 thin slices red onion
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, basil, mayonnaise, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- With dampened hands, shape the beef into 4 patties, about 4 1/2-inches in diameter and 3/4-inch thick. Set aside.
- In a very large skillet or griddle over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp and golden, 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Prepare a grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Sprinkle both sides of the patties with the salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium. During the last minute, place the buns on the grill, cut side down, to lightly toast.
- Arrange the bacon on the bun bottoms. Top with the lettuce, onion, patties, cheese mixture, and bun tops and serve.Copyright Jill Silverman Hough. All rights reserved. www.jillhough.com.