Ćevapčići (Croatian Sausages)
- 1/2 pound coarsely ground beef sirloin (about 90% lean)
- 1/2 pound coarsely ground lean pork shoulder
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press or minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the beef, pork, garlic, salt, and pepper, gently mixing to combine. Add the sparkling water, gently mixing until tacky, 3 to 5 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Gently shape the mixture into sixteen 3-inch long sausages, arranging the sausages on a sheet pan. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a grill, stovetop grill, or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sausages, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve hot, with toothpicks and ajvar sauce if you like.Adapted for the home chef by Jill Silverman Hough.